Sunday, June 8, 2014

Module 11 - Reflection of Learning

EDU642 M11
Reflection of Learning/Putting it into practice – Toolbox use

As this course comes to a close, I appreciate the conclusion focusing on the importance of reflection.  I don' think I had ever been introduced to the Peter Pappas reflective model prior to this module, but I see great value in this taxonomy, for all educators.  We usually ask our students to take time for reflection on their work, and it is important to create the same habit for our own.  Looking at Pappas work, I was struck by what a productive tool this could be for use in teacher observation, by combining with self-reflection.  

I am a great fan of the quote used in the module overview podcast lecture: "Failure is instructive. The person who really thinks learns quite as much from his failures as from his successes." - John Dewey.  This is something I was always trying to impart on my students, especially those with learning struggles. Too often, we associate failure as a negative, while it can actually be a much more powerful and lasting learning experience.   I used to have a sign (one I found on Pintrest) that hung above my desk, FAIL: First Attempt In Learning.  It was a reminder for myself, and my students, that failure is not the end.  

No comments:

Post a Comment