Sunday, May 25, 2014

Digital Storytelling

8-1 Animoto

Create a digital storytelling project tied to National Technology Standards as well as Common Core Standards using Animoto. Your project should be a minimum of two minutes in length. Include a link to your finished product in your blog.

*** Note - due to ever changing free trials - 30 second videos are now the the free trial limits on this site. 



Back in July of 2012, I created  my first ever animoto video, used to simply show how learning tools and technology have changed over time.  Click here to see this first adventure.  I was struck by the possibilities of using Animoto, or other digital story telling technology, to provide new opportunities in the classroom. 

During part of my EDU641 class, I was able to revisit Animoto for a combination storytelling presentation, comparing brick and mortar libraries to digital ones.  Click here to see the progression made, as my photos, narrative, and music where more carefully planned with the use of an organizational story board.  

If I were active in the classroom today, I would love to try to utilize digital story telling to actively try to engage my students in reading.  (This would most likely be used for grades 5-8, but could easily be adapted to older students too.)  Digital book trailers are an exciting way to teach students how to hook each other into a new reading adventure. 

In an interesting blog post, PR Notes: Book Trailer Software Demonstrated,  author Darcy Pattison shares a great link to The Book Trailer Manual, as well as her personal examples for The Wayfinder using various software.  In the examples, it is interesting to see just how different the creations can be using different tools.  The first video uses Animoto, the second uses You Tube.






Visit the pages of Teacher Librarian Michelle Harclerode, she shares a great infographic and links to plans that show how Digital Book Trailers are a great method for integrating Common Core Standards in the classroom. 

My own little attempt at a Book Trailer.

6 comments:

  1. You tube is just the place to share videos, what did they use to create the second video? It looks like it could be iMovie or MovieMaker, or another video creation tool.

    I agree using book trailers is a good way to get students to read is a great idea, getting them to write the digital stories is a good way for them to practice writing as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe she used Vegas Movie studio, and uploaded to YouTube.
    On her blog post, she also has an example using a Photobucket slide show. All in all, a great way to show how many options we can look at for an exploration like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I finally found your Animoto book trailer, nice job, But I am wondering how you got the narration into the Animoto about brick and mortar libraries, I don't see where that is possible in Animoto. Our music teacher uses Vegas, I have yet to check that one out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had been using the paid subscription for Animoto, and I prerecorded the narration as an mp3 to upload. I arranged the slide order the best I could to fall in line with the narration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  5. Thanks, that works on the free education trial too!

    ReplyDelete